jewishstory

Introduction – History of the Community


Jews began to settle in Częstochowa in the 18th century. In 1790, there were only about 50 Jewish residents, who were not yet an independent religious community but were part of the kahal in Janów. In 1794, after a dispute, the Jews of Częstochowa separated from Janów, and by 1799 they had purchased land for a cemetery—a fundamental step towards independence. In October 1804, the Prussian king granted permission to establish an independent kahal. Between 1805 and 1810, the Municipal Synagogue and mikvah were built on a property on Wodna (now Nadrzeczna) Street. Starting in 1834, a beit midrash (house of prayer and study) was also constructed, which included a yeshiva (religious school for adults).

The Jewish residents of Częstochowa mainly engaged in trade and crafts, and from the 1830s began developing textile workshops, processing flax and cotton. They also produced goods such as accessories, toys, watches, glasses and optical tools, mirrors, needles, umbrella frames etc. Larger factories typically employed only non-Jewish workers. Many Jews practiced liberal professions (such as doctors, lawyers, and engineers).

Despite a strong presence of Jewish Enlightenment (Haskalah) advocates—who supported the modernization of Jewish life—and later, the rise of socialist and Marxist parties, Częstochowa remained a bastion of moderate religious orthodoxy. There were also significant Hasidic influences, with followers of Hasidic courts from Góra Kalwaria, Radomsko, Przysucha, Uman in Ukraine, and Turzysk in Volhynia.

Initially, Jewish education in Częstochowa was solely religious, with children attending private cheders (religious schools). An epidemic of cholera in 1831 and 1832 left many orphans, prompting the community to establish a free community school (Talmud Torah) for the poorest children. Częstochowa’s teachers were generally of high pedagogical and moral standards. Noteworthy was Daniel Neufeld’s modern, secular private school, which operated from 1851 to 1860. In the interwar period, there were separate Jewish elementary schools and Jewish high schools (both community and private, like Dr. Filip Axer’s). The Craft School for Jews was highly regarded, though Jewish students also attended Polish schools.

From the mid-19th century onward, Jews increasingly participated in the city’s social life. During World War I, they were members of the City Council, formed numerous social and cultural associations, established sports clubs, and developed Jewish scouting organizations. Despite the economic crisis during the interwar period and related tensions, Polish cultural assimilation advanced, alongside growing nationalist and Zionist initiatives. The community, aware of its traditions, even attempted to create a historical monograph on Jewish Częstochowa (though the completed first volume, covering up to the end of the 19th century, was lost during World War II).

The World War II and the occupation brought severe persecution and suffering to Częstochowa’s Jews. On April 9, 1941, an order was issued to establish a Jewish residential district, and on April 17, 1941, the ghetto was sealed. Jews were forced into free, compulsory labor for the Germans throughout the occupation. The liquidation of the ghetto began on the morning of September 22, 1942. Around 40,000 people were deported in six transports to the Treblinka II extermination camp, where they were killed in gas chambers. Approximately 5,000 people were detained in a forced labor camp (known as the “small ghetto”), which was liquidated on June 25 and 26, 1943, resulting in the murder of around 1,500 people. The remaining prisoners were transferred to factory camps—HASAG Peltzery and HASAG Raków. Later, additional camps, HASAG Warta and HASAG Częstochowianka, were established, employing approximately 11,000 Jewish laborers.

When Częstochowa was liberated in January 1945, about 5,200 Jews survived. Most of them soon left the city, but a remnant of the religious Jewish community remained active until the events of March 1968. During this period, the local branch of the Social and Cultural Association of Jews in Poland (TSKŻ) also operated actively, and it still exists today. It serves several dozen people who continue to cultivate their Jewish heritage.